Another reason why we love fall...the crockpot! There are so many amazing crockpot recipes out there, but my favorite “go to” is a great turkey chili. This recipe tops my list of flavor and great nutrition. It packs in fiber and lean protein, with all clean ingredients. Who doesn’t love easy, tasty, and healthy!
- 1.25 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 jar of salsa (16oz)
- 1 cup of celery, chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15.5oz can pinto beans
- 1 15.5oz can red kidney beans
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- Place meat and chopped onion into a large pan. Cook until turkey is no longer pink and onion is translucent.
- Place meat and onion mixture into a crockpot along with the other ingredients. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Tips: Top with low-fat shredded cheese, avocado, and/or plain fat-free Greek Yogurt in place of sour cream!
Suggestions for “clean” tortilla chips for scooping: Way Better Snacks Tortilla Chips, Food Should Taste Good Multigrain
Janaelle Humberd, Registered Dietitian, LDN
Certified Lifestyle and Weight Management Consultant / Health Coach